Lae-Hoon Kim, Ph.D.
5775 Morehouse Drive
San Diego, CA 92121-1714
Email: laehoonkim at gmail dot com
- Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Statistical Speech Processing), University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
Advisor: Mark Hasegawa-Johnson
Thesis title: Statistical Model Based Multi-Microphone Speech Processing: Toward Overcoming Mismatch Problem
- M.S. in Statistics, University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (Applied acoustics), Seoul
National University, 2001
Thesis title: Improved Methods for Measuring Early Reflections
from Room Impulse Responses
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University, 1999
Honors & Activities
- Graduate College Conference Travel Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
- C. R. Allen Outstanding International Student Award by ECE department, University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
- Harriett & Robert Perry Fellowship by ECE department, University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, Aug. 2008 ~ May 2009
- Cognitive Science / Artificial Intelligence (CS/AI) Award by CS/AI committee, University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, 2008, 2009
- Fellowship by Brain Korea (BK) 21, Aug. 2004-Jul. 2005.
- Best paper award: Acoustical Characteristics of the Pansori, Acoustical Society of Korea Conference, 2003.
- IEEE member since 2005
- SIAM student member since 2008
- Reviewer for
- IEEE Transaction on Audio Speech and Language
- IEEE Transaction on Multimedia
- The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing
- Noise Control Engineering Journal
- Senior Engineer (2010~present) at Qualcomm Incorporated, San Diego, CA, USA
- Summer Intern (2009) at Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, USA
- Summer Intern (2008) at IBM Research, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA
- Teaching Assistant
- ECE 313/MATH 362 PROBABILITY WITH ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS (2009 Fall)
- ECE 420 Digital Signal Processing Lab (2010 Spring)
- Graduate mentor in the P.U.R.E. (promoting undergrad research in Engineering) program (2010 Spring)
- Research Assistant (2005~2010) at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Groupscope: Instrumenting Research on Interaction Networks in Complex (2007~2010)
- Audio Diarization: Towards Comprehensive Description of Audio Events
- Mobile Platform Acoustic-Frequency Environmental Tomography
- AVICAR: Audio-Visual Speech Recognition in Cars (2004~2006)
- Research Assistant (1999~2004) in applied acoustics laboratory at Seoul National University :5 projects related to room acoustics and audio signal processing
- Development of automatic sound field tuning system for home theatre system (supported by Samsung Bluetek, 2002~2003)
- Development of installation and tuning techniques for car audio system (supported by Hyundai Motor Company, 2002)
- Development of new room acoustical evaluation method with multi-dimensional parameters (supported by Korea Science and Engineering Foundation, 2000-2002)
- Study for acoustic environment improvement of "House of Worship at Presbyterian College and Theological Seminary" (supported by Presbyterian College and Theological Seminary, 2000)
- Study for acoustic environment improvement of "Seoul National University Gymnasium" (supported by Seoul National University, 1999)
- One of the main vocalists in a professional vocal group "In-Gong-Wi-Sung: men made great harmony" (1996~1999) in Korea
- Participated third and fourth album
- Selected papers (13/29) Full paper list
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim and Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, "Toward Overcoming Fundamental Limitation in Frequency-Domain Blind Source Separation for Reverberant Speech Mixtures", the 44th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim, Kyung-Tae Kim and Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, "Robust Automatic Speech Recognition with Decoder Oriented Ideal Binary Mask Estimation", INTERSPEECH 2010.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim, Kyung-Tae Kim and Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, "Speech enhancement beyond minimum mean squared error with perceptual noise shaping", the 159th meeting of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA) 2010.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim, Ivan Tashev and Alex Acero, "Reverberated speech signal separation based on regularized subband feedforward ICA and instantaneous direction of arrival", IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP2010), March, 2010.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim, Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, Gerasimos Potamianos and Vit Libal, "Joint estimation of DOA and speech based on EM beamforming", ICASSP2010, March, 2010.
- [Journal] Lae-Hoon Kim, Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, Jun-Seok Lim and Koeng-Mo Sung, "Acoustic model for robustness analysis of optimal multi-point room equalization", Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 123, No. 4, pp. 2043-2053, April 2008.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim and Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, "Optimal speech estimator considering room response as well as additive noise: Different approaches in low and high frequency range", ICASSP2008, April 2008.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim, Mark Hasegawa-Johnson, Jun-Seok Lim and Koeng-Mo Sung, "Room Equalization Based on Acoustic and Human Perceptual Features", Audio Engineering Society (AES) 122nd convention, May 2007.
- [Conference] Lae-Hoon Kim, Mark Hasegawa-Johnson and Koeng-Mo Sung, "Generalized Optimal Multi-Microphone Speech Enhancement Using Sequential Minimum Variance Distortionless Response(MVDR) Beamforming and Post-filtering", ICASSP2006, May 2006.
- [Journal] Sin-lyul Lee, Lae-Hoon Kim and Koeng-Mo Sung, "Refinement of Head Related Transfer Function Using Directional Weighting Function", IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol.E 87-A, No. 6, pp. 1531-1536, June, 2004.
- [Journal] Chulmin Choi, Lae-Hoon Kim, Sejin Doo, Yangki Oh and Koeng-Mo Sung, "Measurement of Early Reflections in a Room with 5 Microphones System", IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol.e 86-A, No. 12, pp. 3283-3287, December, 2003.
- [Journal] Lae-Hoon Kim, Jun-Seok Lim, Chulmin Choi and Koeng-Mo Sung, "Equalization of Low Frequency Response in Automobile", IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 243-252, February, 2003.
- [Journal] Lae-Hoon Kim, Jun-Seok Lim and Koeng-Mo Sung, "A New Robust Acoustic Crosstalk Cancellation Method with Sum and Difference Filter for 3D Audio System", IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol. e 85-A, No. 9, pp. 2159-2163, September, 2002.
- Sang Bae Chon, Lae-Hoon Kim and Koeng-Mo Sung, "A METHOD AND AN APPARATUS FOR IDENTIFYING FRAME TYPE", US patent pending 12/463,141 and 12/437,952.
- Ho Keun Jang, Chulmin Choi, Koeng Mo-Sung, Seung Rae Lee, Lae-Hoon Kim, Jae-Jin Jeon, Sin-lyul Lee, and Se-Ung Kim, "Method and apparatus using room inverse filter, capable of forming different inverse filters according to frequency elements", S. Korea 1020040000559, 07/12/2005.
- PhD, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (8)
Advanced Signal Processing (ECE551), Mathematical Models of Language (ECE594/LING594), Individual study in ECE (ECE597), Speech Processing (ECE537), Fundamental of Engineering Acoustics (ECE473), Wavelets in Signal Processing (ECE598MD), Pattern Recognition (ECE544NA), Introduction to Computational Linguistics (LING406)
(Courses with blue color correspond to the courses with A+.)
- MS, Department of Statistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (9)
Random Processes (ECE534), Detection and Estimation Theory (ECE561), Computational Statistics (STAT525), Optimization by Vector Space Methods (MATH587), Statistics Internship (STAT593), Statistical Learning (STAT 542), Statistics and Probability II (STAT410), Applied Regression and Design (STAT425), Statistical Computing (STAT428)
Matlab, Perl, R, HTK, AT&T FST toolkit, C/C++, TI TMS320C55x DSP board